When you start doing research for inflatable fishing boats you will find that there are three primary brands that are being sold. The Sevylor fish hunter (Click Here ), the Sea Eagle series of boats (CLICK HERE) and the Intex series of boats (Click Here). From my research it seems like the Intex boats are the least expensive of the three options. My experience has typically been that if you want a premium product that is going to last a while you are going to need to be ready to pay more. I remember as a kid buying a very cheap inflatable boat and me and a friend used it for splashing around in a lake near my house. I also remember the boat really didn’t last more than a few trips to the lake.
A good friend of mine owns the Sevylor Fish Hunter and he has been very happy with his inflatable boat. He said he has only had to patch it a couple of times and he and his eight year old son have been out fishing on it for years. I am going to ask him if I can borrow his boat so I can do a side by side comparison of the Sevylor fish hunter vs the Sea Eagle inflatable boat that I decided to purchase.
When I was shopping for an inflatable boat I decided on the Sea Eagle 124 SMB. It has really been a great boat for fishing all the lakes around here. There are a couple of key features I really like about my Sea Eagle inflatable fishing boat and a couple of things I don’t like. To read my full review of my Sea Eagle 124SMB click here
Things I like about my Sea Eagle Fishing Boat:
- It has three separate chambers which makes me feel safe being on the boat with my kids. I have always worried about a fishing hook catching the side of the boat and all of us having to make our way to shore on just two of the inflatable chambers. It has never happened (knock on wood) but with my kids always wanting to reel in to check their bait and see if they have a fish it wouldn’t surprise me.
- I like that I can fold it up and fit it in my shed. Our home does not really have a place to park a boat and my wife uses our garage as an art studio so the fact that I can fit everything in my small shed is very appealing. I can also load the boat into the back of my Subaru Outback and also my Subaru Forester.
- I love that my Sea Eagle 124SMB has hard wood floors. It makes the boat super stable. We can stand up and fish if we want to. It also allows us to use folding chairs so we can be very comfortable while fishing.
- My Sea Eagle 124 is big enough to easily fit two adults and two kids. Which is perfect for my family. Fishing for me is a way to connect and spend time with people I care about and spend more time with my kids, family and friends. The size of this boat allows me to make fishing a family affair and not just me going out fishing by myself.
There are a couple of things I don’t like about my Sea Eagle 124SMB fishing boat:
- It is heavy. The boat weighs about 50 pounds. And when I fold it up it is kind of an hard to wrap my arms around. I hurt my back a few years ago and so at fifty pounds this boat is really my limit. In a perfect world this boat would only weigh 25 pounds.
- My boat take about 25 minutes to assemble. This includes carrying it from the car, pumping it up, putting in the wood floor, attaching the Minkota trolling motor and loading up all my fishing gear. I do envy the guys who just pull up with their boat on a trailer and dump in.
- It can be difficult to attach the steel bars though the gromets on the boat. These grommets do not seem to line up perfectly and from an engineering and design standpoint it seems like Sea Eagle could have done a better job figuring out how to attach the motor mount and the seat.
As with anything there are always going to be advantages and disadvantages to any boat. For me the trade off is worth it. I really do love my inflatable fishing boat and I think the Sea Eagle 124SMB was a great choice. Click here to see what you can do in an inflatable boat.
I should mention that the first time Sea Eagle shipped me my boat there was a problem with the hull. I called them up and without hesitation had me ship it back to them and they sent me a new one right away. It’s nice to work with a company that stands behind their product and makes it easy to return if their is an issue.
If I were going to buy another inflatable boat I would definitely buy another one from Sea Eagle. If I were going to be going fishing by myself I would probably look at the frameless pontoon fishing boats.
Sevylor fish hunter – Sea Eagle Inflatable Fishing Boats – Intex Inflatable Fishing Boats